Saturday, April 10, 2010

Introducing the VTOL Helicopter Blog

I found these videos on the VTOL Helicopter blog. I might add this is a very good site for all things concerning helicopters such as, All Helicopter News; Helicopter Emergency Medical Services (HEMS) Operations; Incidents and Accidents; and the Videos Worth Watching Series. Also included are insights, and viewer comments involving choppers. There’s a lot of good stuff here - Check It Out!

The videos below show the versatility of the helicopter, it's uses are endless. What a great invention!

A feature on power line work using N138TX, a 1979 MD500D operated by Air2. This particular video is near and dear to my heart. I was a high voltage power lineman in the Air Force for 15 years. Back in 1982  I got out of the Air Force for about 8 months, and for a few months I worked outside of Dallas, Texas working on high voltage transmission lines like the ones you see here in this video. What they are installing are wind dampeners - what we lineman affectionately called “dog bones".




Wind turbine utility work in a 2002 EC135 T2. Helicopter Hoist Offshore Windturbines

1 comment:

  1. Very informative blog. Thanks!

    One thing that I liked the most is mentioning the risk associated with the helicopter pilot career. The risks and benefits, both are equally important and before becoming a helicopter pilot, we should know the risks.

    Also, I've read that helicopter pilot license requires 40 hours of aeronautical experience. Just want to know if you can tell me more details about it. I'm looking to make my career in aviation as a helicopter pilot. TIA

    ReplyDelete